» Home » Networking » IP Addresses and Domain Names
IP Addresses and Domain Names
IP addresses and mappings to domain names for most Texas A&M machines are assigned and maintained using NIM (Network Information Manager). Most domain names are placed in the tamu.edu domain. However, subdomains and .org domains can be registered.
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is used for parts of campus including ResNet, and some departments. There are Departmental DHCP Server Requirements that must be followed to deploy a DHCP server in a department.
Note for administrators with network-based access lists: The following IP address space is used on campus. To ensure that all campus users can access your service, please include the following address space in your access lists.
- Primary Campus Address Space: 126.96.36.199/16 and 188.8.131.52/16
- Campus VPN Address Space: 184.108.40.206/24, 220.127.116.11/24, 18.104.22.168/23, 172.16.32.0/19 and 172.18.33.0/24
- Campus Private Address space: 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16
To learn more about IP addresses and Domain Names on the Texas A&M Network, choose a link below:
- NIM Information
- NIM FAQ
- Manual DNS Changes
- DNS Settings
- Departmental DHCP Server Requirements
- Guidelines and Procedures for Registering a Subdomain
- Guidelines and Procedures for Registering a .org Domain
NOTE: if you need an IP address for use in a registrar controlled classroom, please contact Help Desk Central at 845-8300. If the classroom is not registrar controlled, contact the department that controls that classroom.